Sunday, March 15, 2009

Growing tougher skin or a softer heart?

I have been told more than enough times this week, "grow a tougher skin". I just hate that saying, because I know it is true... but, also a cure to worldly situations. 


My week has been one that I found myself in a position of defending myself, my practices and pondering is that Proverbs 31 woman every in this position? In the turmoil of the week, (Why do woman judge each other?) I couldn't see the outcome but, on Sunday night after giving into rest and listening to God's word... I see my focus was off - way off! 

I was focused on toughening up my shell. I sought friends who would sympathize with my perils and allowed this situation from taking center stage of my life. I not proud that I let what others say or do, rob my joy and sends me in a tailspin.  This worldly solution of my own attempt to grow a tougher skin, only proved to be sour. 

As I reflected on the Proverbs 31 woman again this week, I see clearly that in my weakness, God seeks my undivided attention. In the deep valley, the Proverbs 31 woman turns to God... her path always leads to God, the great encourager and deliverer.  I am confident that Proverbs 31 woman would not have given into growing tougher skin, she would have stood strong and called blessed rather than stirring the pot to demonstrate her strength. 

I always count music as a gift, especially when God places a skillful lyric in my mind at the perfect moment. The lyric gift I was given is by Big Daddy Weave from the song, What Life Would Be Like.  The lyrics of this song illuminates that I am human and need to devote every thought to God and not work to create my solution to a worldly problem.

The lyrics: 

I wish I was more of a man
Have you ever felt that way?
And if I had to tell you the truth
I'm afraid I'd have to say
That after all I've done and failed to do
I feel like less than I was meant to be.

What if I could fix myself
Maybe then I could get free
I could try to be somebody else
Who's much better off than me
But I need to remember this
That it's when I'm at my weakest
I can clearly see, 

He made the lame walk and the dumb talk
He opened blind eyes to see.
That the sun rises on His time
Yet he knows our deepest desperate need
And the world waits while His heart aches
To realize the dream
I wonder what life would be like if we let Jesus live through you and me.

What if you could see yourself thru another pair of eyes
What if you could hear the truth
Instead of old familiar lies?
What if you could feel inside
The power of the hand that made the universe, You'd realize

All our hearts they burn within us
All our lives longed for more
So, let us lay our lives before the one who gave His life for us

How do I feel inside the power of the hand of the Amazing God who made the universe? 

For me, I must take every thought, word and action captive and turn them over to my God.  So, I'll awake in the morning rushing to God instead of to Starbuck's, my job, to do list or a friend to hear about all the injustices I am encountering. I will be reminded that in the deep valley, God will always be there to raise me up.  I will praise rather than complain, I will pray rather than try to toughen up my skin, emulate the ways of the Proverbs 31 woman, rather than take part in the ways of the world's women.

Softening my heart, rather than toughening up my skin... 



2 comments:

"Katie" said...

this is the line that got me:
...rather than stirring the pot to demonstrate her strength.

It is so easy to do that! I've done it. ugh! The other thing that pops into my head related to this is:

Be still and know that I am God. I don't even know if that scripture actually relates this incident but for me, it reminds me to be quiet! I need to work on this one too!

Love, Lynwood said...

"I not proud that I let what others say or do, rob my joy and sends me in a tailspin."
this spoke to me...because i do just that! wow i can definitely relate to this situation.