Friday, March 6, 2009

Motherly Advice

Let me just take a minute to introduce myself. I am Joyce. I am extremely excited about being asked to write my first blog! It's a new adventure for me...not so much the writing or the technology, but doing it for "adults"...because I am usually writing, teaching and leading children rather than adults. I have worked with kids for the past 29 years...please note I started when I was a kid! {smile} As a single (never married) adult I have enjoyed the blessing of putting most of my time and energy into the lives of so many kids. So I am a single adult with 100s of kids. Enough about me...here goes my attempt at "adult" writing!

Though it may seem strange I am going to focus on Proverbs 31:1-9 this week. We don't know much about King Lemuel except that he listened to the advice of his mother. He received wise teachings from his mother and was "devoted to God". This got me thinking what would our world be like today if mother's gave this kind of advice to their sons AND their sons listened.

In a world so focused on outward beauty, looking younger, and having a good time...what would be different? King Lemuel's mother taught him that true leaders don't "play around" when it comes to picking a wife. So here's the challenge...are we just accepting the world's ideas or are we staying true to what we know is God's plan? Are we making those thoughts known to our kids OR are we just "hoping" they know it?

Think about some good motherly advice you received....from your mother or another wise lady. Now, are you pouring wise advice into others? Whether a parent, leader, or friend be sure you are getting wise & Godly advice, but also be sure you are giving wise & Godly advice to those around you.

Prayer: Please help me to seek, receive and listen to wise and Godly advice. In turn, let me be one that gives wise and Godly advice to those in need. God, may YOUR wisdom flow through me into the lives of others.

May you have a wonderful and wisdom filled week!

1 comments:

The Goebels said...

Thanks Joyce for the great insight! I liked having some background on this particular scripture. As a mom I know how important it is that we teach our children what inward beauty is. I am so glad you are writing with us.