Thursday, April 9, 2009

Easter and other Holidy Memorie's!

Holiday’s were always something to look forward to when I as a child. Thanks to my loving and caring parents, but I give most of the credit and honor to my Mimi (Grandma; my mom’s mom who walks with Jesus now), Birthdays, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Valentine’s Day, and Easter were holidays we (my sister Jamie and I) always looked forward to and anticipated with much joy because of the traditions (and honestly gifts) that we looked forward to.

We could (and still do) always expect a pretty card and $20 bill from Grandma Dorothy Maurer (my dad’s mom) and a cute card and a shopping day/lunch with Mimi for our BIRTHDAYS. Since us girls got older (in our 20’s) our dad and mom usually send us flowers or take us out for dinner for our birthdays.

For CHRISTMAS Jamie and I always struggled with who got to set up which manger scene/set (we have a very old one that has been passed down over 2 or 3 generations now), we thoroughly enjoyed getting to hang up our own ornaments, and had a blast putting out cookies, milk, carrots, and a letter for Santa and Rudolph The Red-nosed Reindeer. We still remind mom that we have warm cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning (we forgot in 2008; my 9 year-old sister Anna reminded us). We still practice the tradition of opening 1 gift Christmas Eve and our stockings Christmas morning.


For Thanksgiving we still spend Brunch/late lunch or early dinner with my mom’s side of the family and dinner/desert with my dad’s side of the family. I enjoy making pumpkin, pecan, and apple pies. We always look forward to Grandma Dorothy’s potatoes and my mom’s broccoli salad and jello. I enjoy eating the most, but also going around the table and sharing what we are thankful to God for.

For Valentine’s Day my Mimi always got us candy/card/gifts and my dad usually gives us girls chocolates, a card, and sometimes flowers. Until there is a boyfriend/fiancé/husband in our lives; our daddy will have to do (besides God my heavenly father, my dad will always be my first love).

Easter! This year may be the first time (besides the 2 years I was in Tennessee 2003-2005 with Living Proof & Primary Focus) that my family will be split apart. My sister Jamie is spending the morning/day with her newly found boyfriend Ethan (he’s an identical twin) and his family. I will be at Scottsdale Bible Church (where I have been a student intern since May 2008) from 7a,-1pm. My parents and little sister Anna will be at Whitton Avenue Bible Church where I grew up and attended from 1984-2006.

Above all the business and excitement of wearing pretty spring colors; the focus is always on Jesus Christ and what He did for us on the cross and how He did rise on the 3rd day. Easter reminds me of new life (I have two 1st cousins ready to have baby girls in the next few days/weeks; 1 in AZ and 1 in IN), warmth in weather and with family, as well as looking forward to eternity in heaven with our Lord!

The thing that strikes me the most is that Easter (and Christmas for that matter) is the most well-attended service; meaning that thousands of people go, and many of them do not go to 1 or 2 other church services all year round, but because of tradition, the go on Easter. It gives us devote follower of Christ (who go to church more than 2 times a year and have a relationship with God) to reach up to God and out to people in hopes that a simple act of love or explanation of the gospel may bring someone new to have faith – believe – and really make a life time commitment to Christ.

Another happy time for me is Palm Sunday (the Sunday before Easter) because I was baptized on that day at WABC when I was only 13 years old (1997 I believe).

My sisters and I will be leading 40-100 students (children, teens and adults) with various physical and mental disabilities and their friends and families in worship, communion, and scripture reading at SBC in the Town Center from 6:30-8pm tonight. I hope that God is glorified and that people that don’t know Him will when they leave our service tonight. To God be the Glory!

0 comments: