Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Teen Scene

Mary's Momma

I wonder how Mary's mom reacted to the news that her 13 year old daughter was going to have a baby?  And not just any baby, but THE baby, Jesus Christ, God's only son.  I have a 13 year old daughter and I can tell you how I would react.  I would think that God was nuts, off his rocker, COOCOO!  I mean Anna doesn't even like boys yet.  She wears soccer shorts and t-shirts everyday, refuses to brush her hair and half of the time forgets to put on deodorant.  She hates doing homework and spends all her time playing soccer!  She never makes her bed, leaves her junk all over the house and hasn't fed her fish in 8 days.  I still have to pick up her dirty underwear off the bathroom floor so how could she possibly become anyone's mother?  

A lot of people thought that Mary was too young and just not right for such an important job, but God chose Mary just like he chose Tamar who was too powerless, Rahab too tainted, Ruth too inferior and Bathsheba too broken.   

Teen Scene
1 Timothy 4:12
"Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young but set an example for the believers in speech, and life and love, in faith and in purity."

Throughout the Bible we see how often God used teenagers to do his work....Joseph, David, Timothy and my personal favorites...Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego.   (Just to name a few.)  These youngsters, although wet behind the ears, were good and faithful servants.  

Check out this story of another 13 year old girl that God chose.  Her name is Bethany Hamilton.  Bethany lost her arm to a tiger shark while surfing in October 2003.  The attack didn't stop this determined girl.  Instead it increased her faith in God and led her on a journey to discover her purpose in life.  Bethany's story is inspirational.  Watch the clip below.





And so, with the story of Mary, we come to the end of our book.  I want to thank Jen Hatmaker for all the great stories and wonderful insight.  I am now ready to embrace every wonderful facet that God instilled in me and to accept myself for the beautiful and intelligent creation that He made me to be.

0 comments: