Saturday, June 13, 2009

rolling eyes

I'm not a prayer warrior. I don't pray elegant, wordy prayers.

My prayer life is simple (and yet complex because I'm taking to my Maker, Father, Healer, Provider, etc.). It's a conversation.

Conversations include talking, thinking, quietness, listening, repeat. Basically it is talk and listen (whether you are my mother, sister, child, friend, colleague, or my God).


Recently, I was a passenger in a car with along with my two little kids. We were waiting for our car to be done at the garage. A one hour wait had turned into 3.5 hours. 2 kids 3 and under. Hot Arizona day. No naps. We were all ready for the car to be finished.

I prayed out loud so all could hear: "God, thank you for our car. Please let our car be ready when we get back to the garage." It came naturally. It was my heart. It was a focus for my children - to pray when in need and even about the little things. Know God. Talk with Him. Trust Him with little issues (and big ones).

The other adult in the car did a quick eye roll and then said - "That is just weird." I explored it more and our driver expressed an opinion that prayer was not like that. I didn't argue. I was too tired, hot, short fused from the day. Instead, I prayed silently that whatever I said (verbally or with body language) would be a good example.

Here is what I came up with: "Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." - I Thessalonians 5:16-18

Again, to me - prayer is a conversation. I talk to my friends about the little things (and the big). It's about asking, seeking, thanking, and asking for others. What happens is a trusting relationship that can bring peace in difficult circumstances and can help us avoid being prideful of our accomplishments in good times.

"THANK YOU GOD for all that you have done, are doing, and will do in my life! Please continue to let me know what you'd like from me - to turn left or right or stop or go. Thank you for listening to me, for providing my needs and so much more!"

My prayers of late include:



  • Send me where you'd like me to be.

  • Develop self-control in my child.

  • Minimize insecurities in my other child.

  • Keep us safe.

  • Thank you for all you've given to us.

  • Please continue to allow me to hear You.

  • Peace in my extended family.

  • Justice and mercy.

  • Thank you for my gainful employment.

  • Wherever I am, please use me each day.

  • Should you be planning to bring me a husband, please be preparing his heart today.

  • You are wonderful. Thank you so much for Jesus!

  • Please forgive me when I say the wrong things and have the wrong attitude.

  • Please help me to be a better example of Christ's love.

RAK: I recently took in a cat that needed a home. My friend's other cat had been killed by a bobcat. My friend was frantic and needed to find the remaining cat a home. I took it in. (I think I'll be looking for a new home for this cat in a few weeks as it has not integrated well in our home but it was the right thing to do at the time).

0 comments: