Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Fearing God

I love these verses! How awesome it is to have a blue print of what our life should be like. In today's society, there is so much talk about "women's rights" and being "free" to do what you want as a woman. I believe that when we find our role as a woman according to our KING, we are set free to live as he intended. How great is that!
Some people get offended by the way God's word is written and some people even say that they just don't believe that portion of the Bible. Well, pardon my frankness, but that's CRAP! We either believe all of God's word or none of it, it is not a thing to pick and choose. That being said, since we are called to be a Proverbs 31 woman, it is something we should strive to be everyday. This passage is titled, The Wife of Noble Character, but how can we all of a sudden be a wife like this, if we are not first a woman like this. No matter what your stage in life: married, single, student, mother, we can use God's design for us to guide our lives.
What is God trying to tell us here? I think that verse 30 sums it up...30 Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised. WOW! Do I really fear the Lord? What does that look like?
I came from a Young Life back ground. I was a Young Life leader and my husband and I LOVE Young Life. I was saved when I was a freshman in HS and came back on fire for the Lord. However, I never took my relationship any further than camp. I didn't read the Bible, I was stuck on the message that Jesus Loves Me--- "GRACE". Which is true and I needed desperately, but there is also a big portion of God's character that I was missing. He is GOD!!!! Powerful, Mighty and my Master. I am still working on fearing the Lord, and I think everyday that if I truly grasped that concept, my life would look a little different.
When I read Proverbs 31 10-31, I see a woman who fears and loves the Lord at the same time with all her heart. That is my goal, and I don't think I will ever perfect this concept, but I will read and learn and try to understand who God really is on a daily basis and will hope that the Lord grants me wisdom in understanding his true power and might!

3 comments:

Grace said...

Awesome!! We should all be contestants on Fear Factor - God...we would all be winners don't you think? Thanks Coley!!

The Goebels said...

Coley,
I loved reading your perspective. Thanks for the great insight.

SarahMaurer said...

“Fear only two: God, and the man (or woman) who has no fear of God.”

What do I think it means to fear God?

I think back on childhood and that fear you would feel when you know you did something wrong (I always broke things) and you had a healthy fear of your parents/fathers punishment and discipline.

If we really lived in fear of God daily I think our thought life and the choices we make when nobody else is looking (but God is always looking) would be different. We would want to please our heavenly Father in everything we say and do.

I also think about driving around Phoenix. If there was a cop/police officer on my tail/back end the whole time I sure wouldn't speed and would drive very well, and yet I do choose to disobey the law and speed, but is that pleasing to the Lord-my heavenly Father? No.

I'm not trying to say we should live our life according to the law only, because I think that Jesus is not Religion- its all about a relationship. In a relationship thought (dating, friendship, marriage) don't we want to please? I know I do because through fearing God I want to obey Him and by obeying Him I am loving Him.