Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Measuring Up!

My first blog and I have to write about being a Proverbs 31 woman? To be brutally honest, this particular passage of scripture is one that I've spent most of my adult life trying to avoid. Mostly because it makes me feel hugely inferior and it encompasses everything that I am NOT. I don't like to cook (vs. 13), I hate cleaning (vs. 27) and I've never clipped a coupon in my life (vs. 18). Although I do talk a lot...I'm pretty sure that not everything that comes out of my mouth is wise or even necessary for that matter (vs. 26). So how can I possibly relate to this scripture, and if this is God's model for a Christian woman then I am pretty much a complete failure. I needed some help with this so I decided to go straight to the source. I took my Bible and my journal and went out on the back porch to have a conversation with God. It wasn't an easy conversation to have because although I understand that this is his written word, I also know that he created me exactly the way I am. I believe he has given me many talents, but somehow those seem contradictory to what I read in Proverbs. What does this all mean? That I'm not living up to his expectations? Do I give up myself and try to fit into a mold of something I'm not? While I was trying to sort through it all, I kept hearing God's voice in the back of my head telling me to look again. To stop being so literal and to really grasp the meaning behind the words. So I went back to the scripture, this time with fresh eyes, and here's what I got. A Proverbs 31 women loves her husband and works hard to take care of her family. She's kind to others and helps those in need. But above all, and most importantly, a Proverbs 31 woman loves the Lord her God. Huh...maybe it's not so complicated after all. I mean loving my husband? That's easy. God blessed me with an incredibly wonderful, gifted and talented Christian man who loves me. I have two great kids that I would do anything for and I really enjoy helping others. As for loving the Lord, I would be nothing without Him. He is the one true constant in my life. The only One that I can depend on to never let me down. So... maybe it's time I stop fighting my perceptions of what I think a Godly woman is and start trying to discover the Christian woman that God wants me to be. I think I'll spend some more time in this passage this week and really try to listen to what God is telling me.

5 comments:

Grace said...

It's so true we put our own expectations in front of God's...so easy today. Thanks for the reminder to reverse this!

Anonymous said...

Wow! How I can relate especially when a Proverbs 31 woman is supposed to be submissive. YIKES! I really loved your perspective on this as it was really an eye opener. How often we try to be something that we think we are supposed to be rather than just being the best that God made us to be!

Anonymous said...

It's just nice to hear that someone else totally hates cleaning. I struggle with this one, especially when I see my husband headed towards the bathroom with toilet brush in hand. But He - the LORD - has given me other gifts. Thank you Jesus!

SarahMaurer said...

I believe that God does not expect us to be every verse in Proverbs 31. We are each unique, wonderfully made, and I think that every woman has a littl bit of Proverbs 31 in them, not all of it.

The Goebels said...

Thanks Sarah....I agree...I feel that is what God has really been trying to tell me. Just had to get over myself and really listen.
I am so enjoying this blog and everyone's perspective!