Saturday, March 28, 2009

Intent?

I suggested the topic of purity and I must admit that I’ve had a difficult time knowing what to write.

The one word that keeps running through my mind is: intent.

So, here is what I think I’m hearing from the Lord:
Scripture: Flee the evil desires of youth, and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart. – 2 Timothy 2:22

Honestly, living a life of purity wasn’t even on my radar screen until my late 20s. I used to be very flirtatious, pursue getting things (mostly position vs. material possessions) that weren’t necessarily Godly, and be with friends when I needed them for something instead of when they might need me, etc.

So, I think about flirting. Why do people flirt? Sex? Thrill? To lure? Socially acceptable? Something to do? Not sure what else to do? Like the feeling? All of these reasons are the “intent” for ones actions. None of those reasons appear pure.

God’s design for us is either singlehood or one partner for life – a spouse. If you are really looking for a spouse, I’m not sure flirting is God’s design for us to pursue a relationship of this magnitude.

So, I ask you: Why do you do what you do (and this could mean in how you approach your job, volunteerism, child rearing, friendships, your marriage, etc.)?

  • Volunteer: Do you volunteer to help others because they need it and you've been called to do so or do you volunteer because it makes you feel good?
  • Argue: Do you argue to get your way because you want to be right or should you take another approach to respond the way Jesus would have responded – directly but lovingly?
  • Prayer: Do you pray without ceasing for God to give you want you want or that you want a certain thing but will accept His answer even if it differs from your want? I think: Thine will be done vs. My will or I'll rage!
  • Friends: Do you support your friends or just use them when convenient for you?
  • Spouse: Why do you seek a spouse so intently? Are you trying to cover up feelings of loneliness?
  • Marriage: Do you behave in your marriage in the ways outlined by God. For women, do you hold out on sex to control situations? Do you cry, grumble or scream to get what you want? Or, do you honor your husband, support him, show respect and demonstrate love?
  • Parenting: Do you approach parenting from a Godly way or do you position yourself with your children with this attitude: I’m bigger and wiser and I’m going to make you do what I want vs. there are some really important things we need to work on so that you grow up to be a wise person who lives with self-control, honesty, integrity, love, peace, etc. It’s my job to guide you and correct you so that you will end up with a good heart.

What is your intent at home, work, socially, in relationships? Do you send mixed messages?

Here are some guidelines to follow as you reflect on purity (the intent of your actions):

  1. Pray that impurities in your life will be revealed to you.
  2. Identify the sin.
  3. Embrace God’s love for you and ask Him to forgive your impure/sinful ways.
  4. Take steps to stop your behavior (tell a friend about your behavior, change your environment, repair broken relationships)
  5. Follow God’s ways – do the right things.
  6. Be accountable (have a friend keep tabs on your actions; record your improvement)
God desires us to use our words and actions to pursue His desires for our lives and not to just do X to get Y using tactics that are less than ideal.

May you feel the love of God as you pursue correcting the impurities in your life. He WILL forgive you and the rewards will be great!

1 comments:

Grace said...

Awesome stuff!! Intent is a great focus...I often find myself doing things for the wrong reasons and those are usually the times where the situation turns out bad. Probably b/c my intent was not pure!! Thanks for the reminder!!