Sunday, March 8, 2009

Perfect? Perfectly Not!

I've read this passage just to be sure once again, and PERFECT is not how God describes the Proverbs 31 woman. (Can you hear the cheering from the crowd?) There are many attributes listed in this passage that set the measuring stick to unattainable heights yet, PERFECT is not the label God has placed on this woman. 


For so long, I believed she as so perfect I could only stand to read about her during Mother's Day when her attributes are commonly laid out again as a celestial check list. However, this week, I thank God for dissecting the Proverbs 31 woman for me into three principles: devotion, generosity and influence.

God is calling me to these three principles in many areas of my life to find balance. The Proverbs 31 woman is balanced, she's not all that and a bag of chips, everyday for every season. Her balance is that she is daily devoting herself to God and her family. She's generous with her time, resources and talents and due to this devotion and generosity she has a Godly influence on her world. 

So, here are questions God placed before me this week I seek to be his Proverbs 31 woman in devotion, generosity and influence.

Devotion: Am I devoted to my God? my husband? my children? Am I devoted to hearing his instructions and words daily? Am I daily growing in his love for him and others?

Generosity: Am I using my talents, resources and time to show God's love and kindness? I am giving or taking from those in my life? Am I generous with kind words? Am I generous with my time or self-seeking in the activities I use my time for? Is my own personal agenda in the way of the compassion I should be demonstrating?

Influence: Do I hide in my shell or allow God to be seen in my daily activities? Am I available and open to the influence God desires for me? Am I emulating God to show a Godly influence? Am I defining God when I influence others in my words and actions?

So, should the Proverbs 31 woman be feared because she's been put on  pedestal? Not at all! She's not perfect, she's balanced. She is the wise example, that this journey to become a Proverbs 31 woman requires daily submission and devotion to the one true God, who is perfect. I am thankful my charge in this life in not to be perfect but to devote myself daily to my God and trust the Proverbs 31 woman he sees in me will grow and bloom with great transparency.  

1 comments:

The Goebels said...

I am so thankful that God doesn't require perfection because I am certainly not! All that we can do do is strive to be the best that God made us to be. Thanks for reminding me that I need to find the balance in my life.