Sunday, March 22, 2009

One man's junk is another men's treasure!

I have a standing date with my frugal friend for every other Saturday for 50 percent day.  In the Phoenix area, Goodwill Industries Thrift Stores are a treasure hunters dream... mine included. 

Goodwill offers 50 percent off everything every other Saturday.  (March 28, 2009 is the next 50 percent day.)  The crowds are thick, lines are long, the hunters aplenty and the treasures very diverse. 

Some of my favorite home decor items are from Goodwill. My favorite jeans, jacket and collectable books. I have supplied my classroom with books, instructional items, puzzles, office supplies and games.  My friend Julie has a great eye for colors and always amazes me at the home decor items she can put together. 

For great success at Goodwill there a  few details that will aid your hunting experience.

1. Know what you are looking for... make a list. Over time, you will find what you are looking for. 

2. Shopping at Goodwill requires getting to know the stores. I have a couple favorites (Cave Creek & Cactus Roads and 32nd Street and Greenway Roads) where I always find what I am looking for.  Someone who loves Ann Taylor Loft as much as I do... and donates reguarly to the Cave Creek shop.  There are some Goodwill stores that have more home items than others, while others have more kids clothing or more books.  

3. Know that name brands are at every store!  Recently, we picked up a very well known designer shirt for my daughter with an original price tag of $90 and we purchased for $2.99. The juicy t-shirt is quite cute on her!   I have found Longerberger baskets and dinnerware ($65.00 for the serving dish, I picked up for $1). A few weeks ago, another friend watched a very happy lady purchase a nearly new Coach purse for $25.00. 

4. Cannot shop on Saturdays? No, problem... Goodwill has a special tag color and week that is on sale every other day of the week. There is a $1 day at most locations, where a select tag is $1 for the entire day.  

5. Donate to Goodwill. Every time you bring in a donation, Goodwill gives you a 20 percent coupon.... this is helpful when you find a treasure not on sale or shopping not on 50 percent day. 

6.  If you are a bookworm, Goodwill is the best bookstore.  I hardly ever buy new books, new and old titles are always at Goodwill.  If you are industrious, you can find some old classics and then turn around and sell them on ebay, craigslist or Amazon.com (see below). I sold a children's classic book, copyrighted in 1930's that I picked up at Goodwill for .99 cents for $65.00 on Amazon.com. 

7. Browsing at Goodwill takes patience but, is well worth the hunt and the entertainment. 

8.  Love movies? Old titles, new titles and classics... they are aplenty! You might even find an A+ VCR to watch some great movies on as well!

9. Goodwill shopping is much more fun with a friend. Two sets of eyes are better than one.

10. Be open to a new opportunity and try out Goodwill for living on the frugal side of life.

Part Two: Amazon.com:

As my queen friend mentioned in yesterday's post, a Proverbs 31 woman is industrious. Well, my attempt to reduce and recycle... I sell our used books on Amazon.com. My daughter helps and nearly manages our little adventure. You can sell books without little complication on Amazon.com. We post books, when the books sell, we mail to the buyer and Amazon deposits the profits into my checking account. I did prefer their older system, where we could turn the profits into Amazon gift certificates - which I used for gifts and to purchase newer book titles.

For now, the system works for us and at Amazon, we actually make a better profit then carting the books into a used book store. I also have sold books to collectors and made some great profits by watching the book racks at Goodwill.  

Thrifty or just a hobby? I haven't decided... but, it is cheap entertainment and the Goodwill shopping and Amazon shopping have provided grand financial teaching moments for my daughters. 

A few opportunities to keep on living thrifty: 

March 28: Cactus View Elementary School is hosting a gently used book sale in the front parking lot at Central Avenue and Grovers Road (just north of Bell Rd.) The sale helps the school reading incentive program for students and prices begin at .50 cents. 

Annually, I allow my daughters to host a garage sale to raise funds to take a friend to church/summer camp.  We are set for this Saturday, March 28 .. email me for directions... or if you want to add a few items for their sale or your own mad money... feel free. 

Keep on looking for opportunities to save and enjoy all God has given.












3 comments:

"Katie" said...

OK, E - Do you have a link to amazon that will give us the details of selling with them? What a great idea. I have a bunch of books I could unload.

"Katie" said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
"Katie" said...

Also, how is shipping handled (paid for by customer); how do you set your prices?