Saturday, March 21, 2009

Income & Expenses



This is a long post but there are THREE good ideas in here...

In 1oth grade, I took accounting with Mr. Doran. I learned about the two sides of the income statement (or was it the balance sheet). Anyway, the two main points I have retained from that class are: Income & Expenses. How do these apply to my household?

Expenses: Here are two things that I’ve done to save hundreds of dollars:
· #2: I just joined Couponsense (after going to a short orientation class last Saturday). Coupons have never been my thing (I'm not that organized). However, after seeing women on the news buying $100 worth of groceries for $1, I explored it and found that I could save $300-500 a month on food and supplies (including diapers for two).

Check it out: couponsense.com.

(The best part organizationally is that I don't have to actually clip the coupons until it is time to go shopping and they tell me where to buy what based on sales and coupons.)

Here is how it works: (Overall approach: match your coupons to store sales)

a. Organize coupons so you can find them when the sale starts (perhaps weeks after the newspaper publishes the coupons). Coupons last for 4-6 months.

b. Get the coupons each week and store them in a hanging file folder. Buy three papers and get three sets of coupons! (Couponsense even has a deal with the Arizona Republic to get extra Sunday papers for 75 cents each-just so you can get additional sets of coupons.)

c. Use the couponsense website to create a grocery list (They'll tell you what is on sale where and what coupons you have saved from the Sunday paper. They cover 13 stores in AZ. This may mean you need to shop more than one store to get the best deals. You can opt only one store if you want.)

d. Get the matching coupons from your hanging file folders (the website tells you which coupon is in which coupon packet in your hanging file folders).

e. Shop and save.

Example:
Couponsense tells you:
a) X-grocery store is having a sale on toothpaste (regularly $2 and on sale for $1) AND
b) You have a 50 cent coupon for toothpaste in your hanging folder.

You go to the store, which happens to double coupons and buy the toothpaste for $1. You turn in a 50 cent coupon from your hanging file folder system, which is valued at $1 (store doubles the coupon).

You get the item for FREE!
Seriously, that is how it works.

I tried it out last week: matching coupons to sale items and got shampoo and conditioner for free at Walgreens (I had to pay sales tax only). Um, yeah....I could handle this - as long as they do the organizing.

I'm going to try it for the spring. They said that you can really see a difference in your grocery bill by week 6. As long as they organize it and I save, I'll keep going!

(The ladies at the class said they no longer pay for toothpaste, toothbrushes, deodorant, etc...they ALWAYS have coupons to match to sales = free!).

Also, there are so many things that I can get for free that even if I don't use that specific product, it is an easy way to collect items for free to donate to food banks or other charitable causes.

Cost for this program: $14/month for couponsense ($4 for 1st month) and ~$10+ a month for the paper. So, if I save at least $24, I can keep going. My goal, save $300+.

· #1 – I’m buying used clothes. Honestly, I’ve always done this. This might sound crazy (and it probably is) but I’ve always felt that once used, clothes have a story. Some other kid wore these shorts and they went certain places and did certain things and now my kid is wearing them and doing things. I know, strange. I digress.

I recently purchased an entire wardrobe for my son for $14 at a garage sale in my neighborhood (less shoes). For shoes, I exchanged some of my kids' outgrown clothes for shoes at a used clothing store (Kid to Kid if you are in the Phoenix area). My cost: gas to drive the 5 miles.

Seriously, $14 for a case of little boy clothes and shoes. Cute stuff. Gap, Old Navy, Gymboree, Children's Place, etc. That is savings in the hundreds of dollars.

Summary: SAVE wherever you can! The money is God's so commit to using His resources wisely.

Income:
OK, I know we covered the Proverbs 31 woman for 2 weeks (14 posts) but I have to bring her into this discussion. Verse 24 says that “She makes linen garments and sells them, and supplies the merchants with sashes.”

I interpret this to mean that she is resourceful. She was running a home-based business. She used her knowledge and abilities to produce something. Then, she was able to use her skills to get people to buy her products (individuals and other businesses). That is industrious!

I have had a photography business for ~5 years now. I primarily photograph high school seniors and infants. I guess that I’m industrious in that I have had a good amount of people purchase prints!

My example? My mom sews. She recently pulled out the ole machine and some thread and started making aprons for kids, bibs, blankets and bean bag sets – to sell to parents and daycares. That is industrious!

Summary-
Income: Does God desire you to explore bringing in extra cash to support your household? What could you do? $100 extra a month? $200, more? A product or a service? Where are your talents? Could you use your God-given abilities to help support your family in different ways?

Expenses: Be industrious. Be resourceful. Be creative. (Plus you might just enjoy the journey…the thrill of the hunt for good deals!)

,..And you might meet some incredible people along the way. I have!


Thanks, Mr. Doran…It really is about balance: income and expenses in this case! And from a Biblical perspective it is about using what God has given us both wisely and for His glory. That is - time, talents, money, physical resources, etc.

0 comments: