Friday, March 20, 2009

You Can't Take It With You

Being thrifty...you mean there is another way to live? I want to take a little different approach other than just tips. There are two reasons for that...(1) I am single and don't have others depending on my income and (2) it's a lifestyle for me...not birthed out of the current economic crisis. Before sharing ideas, I feel it is important to know a little about my history.

Being the daughter of some really awesome parents, money was never a luxury for me. From an early age I wasn't "given" an allowance, but I "earned" one. Along with that came the teaching about giving back to God. "Tithing" was always first. If I had a dollar, then God's tithe came out first. Second to that, was the lesson from Dad about saving money. So, I never really thought the whole "$1" allowance per week was mine...I only had about $.80 o each $1 from the beginning.

Along with that has been the luxury of "debt free" living. You save for big items and/or pay cash. Going into debt for things (other than a house) was NOT an option. Yep, I am a debt free chick who has not lived life any other way. Now, the "savings" account may not always have been "full", but debt-free. And...just in case you are wondering...no, I don't live in the lap of luxury. I don't have money to burn, but I am not poor or living in a dump either! It is SO rewarding and "free" to not be shackled by my finances.

With that being said...here are some things I do to "enjoy life" without breaking the bank:

  • Be generous to others...tipping, toys for needy, buy a friends lunch, and stuff like that! Keeps the selfishness in check...at least for me! =)
  • Movies...go in the afternoon before the price change or buy movie ticket coupons at the afternoon rates, but use them at night. (I know Carmike Theaters do this.)
  • Go out to lunch at the nicer places...lunch pricing is usually less expensive, but plenty of food.
  • Splitting a big meal with a spouse or friend can be good, too. Drink "free water" instead of purchasing a $2 (or more) beverage.
  • No matter how thrifty you are ALWAYS be a good tipper! (Pay it forward thing.)
  • Coupons and NOT buying name brands can save.
  • Use the discounts you can get through places (without opening a credit card)...like the cards you can have punched or marked each time you spend, then you get a free something or discount on a future purchase.
  • Buy the $10 "student fund-raiser" card if it has things you will use. I have MORE than $10 of savings just from eating at the Mexican place in town!
  • Save for big things, then pay cash...I got a 10-20% discount on my new furniture because I paid cash!
  • Plan and save for vacations and/or pay ahead of time. Sometimes you get a better deal "ahead", but also you can enjoy your vacation more. If you planned that the meals will cost double "normal" at the amusement park, then it's already paid and it's easier to let it "roll off your back" and enjoy the time with friends and family...no bill when you get home.
  • Credit Cards...if you even have one...get totally PAID at the end of each billing cycle. Yes, I have one and it gets paid off each time...I use it because I get "cash back" or "bonus points" in a way that I really can and do use!
  • Fill up the gas tank...car runs better when you fill it each time and don't run it down to EMPTY.

It is easy to get caught up in the material world of America. One of the best ways to keep that in check...remember "You can't take it with you."

1 comments:

The Goebels said...

You did grow up with some pretty awesome parents. Good ideas you have there. Thanks! Hope you are doing well. Miss you!!!