Sunday, April 19, 2009

Greater Than? Less Than? Equal?

Week 1, Chapter 1-3.... Ms. Understood is not begging the question whether woman are greater than, less than or equal to men...   I believe the question is Do you believe you are the apple God's eye?


I am amazed how much this book has stirred my existence in the last few days... 

My pre-reading prediction was I'd end up with more guilt about not reading or studying the Bible more or not being closer with my God. I'd read through this book, trying to decide am I all I should be for my Lord or am I submissive enough ...as that is the holy command for woman of God, right?

But joyfully, this has not been the case... I have been shaken by the joy and encouragement God has filled my heart with a new view of my role as a woman of God.

My old view was a helpmate, the organizer, the keep on top of everything to keep the family going, train up children who, like their mother seek God's favor.

My radically, invigorated new view includes a gleaming tiara and the title of underdog!

So, first the tiara:

From Psalm 8:5: " I've put a tiara of honor on your head."  Straight from God's word: woman we must believe we are chosen, we are God's crowning jewel to his creation. We were the final touch of his creation. We are his glory bearers. We are the little girl standing before a loving God... who brings us the only validation we need. He loves us unconditionally, there is nothing we can do to undo his love, favor or opinion of us. This is so liberating knowing that I am  a prize position of the God of the Universe. 

The message, Jen Hatmaker delivers about woman is powerful when she explains that God has chosen us to be adorned with talents, beauty, charm and humor.  She paints a moving moment of when Jesus will take one look at us and say, " I would have died on that cross if only for this one." 

The key to this message is that you believe. Believe in the God who speaks the truth.  Trust and Believe is the command of our God... take heart that this is your calling, not to seek the validation of others... just trust this message and believe this God adores you, his tiara-wearing, glory-bearing, chosen woman of God. 

Next, here comes the underdog: I have been in Sunday School and Bible Studies since I was born and had never heard the tale of Tamar.  Tamar is God's story of his faithfulness to those who are underdogs caught being bullied by those who make up the rules of life as they travel along. These folks (Judah and company) that Tamar was tied to... elevated themselves above God, took advantage of others, refused to obey laws, and had stone-cold hearts.  Tamar's life is a demonstration of God's "affinity for the hurting and his zero tolerance for those who take advantage of others and situations".

Tamar married into a family that was chosen, but refused God's favor and blessings. She was abused and abandoned by these men, yet, God found his favor in this woman. Being the underdog can be hurtful, devastating and just plain rotten... however the tale of Tamar, for me showed that God's heart is passionate and frantic to deliver the oppressed. So, resting in his promise to right the persecuted is true, complete and powerful for those of us who at times in our lives fall prey and wear the cape of the underdog. God always, always has the back of the underdog. 

Stand strong knowing, that God always has your back.

Tamar also reminded me of a wise woman, who I just have to believe knew this story when she stated, No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.Eleanor Roosevelt'This Is My Story,' 1937. 

Tamar was not disqualified by any one's opinion. She did not give in... she showed integrity and cleverly overcame. She did not resort to be acting like the victim, she activated her God-given intelligence. She did not give into nagging, gossiping, threatening or complaining. Strong lesson there... yes?

I urge all woman to RUN to read and share this message in Ms. Understood with friends, family and especially young woman... may you see your God lovingly and proudly raising you up as a woman of favor. 












0 comments: