Friday, May 22, 2009

Get Soaked

I just love Summer Church Camp with Kids! This summer I will attend my 20-something year of camp...so many...I've lost count! =) I love discipling kids and "getting away from it all" to connect with kids and see them connect with God.

Several summers ago (like 8-10 years ago), I was at a camp and during our Worship break-outs there was an "Art" station. The leader asked that everyone get still and quiet (just what kids do best-ha, but they did) and focus on listening to God by reading the Bible or just listening. After listening and hearing from God, we were to use the art things to create something that represented what God was telling you. I don't remember what scripture I read that day, but God placed an image in my head. It was a large waterfall coming out of large rocks. I was standing at the bottom getting soaked. Then all around the edges were kids. No faces, just kids. So I got a piece of paper and drew a very rough sketch of it with some markers. Folded it, stuck it in my Bible and went onto the next station.

What God was telling me at the time was:

  • He is the living water, fresh from the Rock.
  • Let Him soak me.
  • Then to get the kids wet.

At the time I was a lay leader in a large church with a huge Children's Ministry. I felt God was confirming that Children's Ministry was the right place and I was to keep serving the kids! I had no idea (at that time) that He would eventually give me a Full-Time assignment on staff at a church! I just thought it was a cool moment spent with God. When I got home I place that picture somewhere and just went on with life.

I just LOVE how God works...

About 2 years ago, after moving to a new church in SC, my parents came for a visit and we went to the upstate & NC to do some Waterfall viewing. There are MANY waterfalls in this area. I have always enjoyed photographing waterfalls. I thought it sounded like a wonderful "get-away" and relaxing. Mom researched all the locations and picked the "best" ones...Dad drove and I was just tagging along with my camera! One of the falls was down a long trail (uphill trail). I actually struggled getting there, but eventually made it. I couldn't believe it....it looked JUST like the picture I had of that waterfall at camp. I took LOTS of pictures. It was such a God moment. Now at this moment God was confirming the long move to SC and the desire to reach kids in creative ways at my new church!

But God wasn't finished...

Last month we had so many kids to baptize that instead of all of them being in one service we split them between the 2 services. We have a portable baptistry that we set up and we just wear shorts & t-shirts over our swimsuits as we baptize. It was such an exciting an busy day! In fact, we did an "come now" call to any adults who wanted to get baptized and total baptisms on that day... 38...Go God! Anyway, it was such a busy and crazy day that I dried off, but actually never had the chance to get out of my wet clothes before the 2nd Service started. Kids were running up to hug me and I was telling them...you might get wet...they didn't care. Then that waterfall thought popped back in my head...now get others wet with the living water. =)

So here's "Get Soaked" means to me now:

  • Be drenched in the Living Water.
  • Get others wet.
  • Go back to the Rock for constant resoaking.

It's not just a "one time" thing! It continues. So are you soaked? If not, go to Jesus and let Him fill you up, then pour out on others...just be sure to resoak!

Joyce

0 comments: