Thursday, May 21, 2009

HopeKids Devotions by Pastor Roby Cottrell that touched my life lately

Let Your Light Shine!
One of my favorite quotes of all time..."Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure! It is our Light, not our darkness, that frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world."There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are born to make manifest the Glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us. It's in everyone. And as we let our own Light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fears, our presence automatically liberates others."- Marianne Williamson
As I have stepped out/branched out in my life this week by going to CHOP; Children's Hospital of Philadelphia in PA I have struggled with this idea and felt pulled both ways; wanting to be humble/reserved/more quiet while I soak it all in and really listen more than talk, and only ask questions when appropriate BUT there are times that I can't help myself; I am so filled with joy, excitement, knowledge, ideas, and questions . . . . . . sometimes I want to stay calm/quiet not to upset/weird out my 2 fellow interns, but then I am reminded that Christ lives in me and for people to see Him shine in my life; I have to be visible, audible, seen, and known for what I do for and through Him; ultimately glorifying God in all I do, say, and think.



The Healing Power of Faith
I don't like religion. I don't like the church. I love Jesus. I don't know what your religious beliefs are. I can tell you without any hesitation that you are spiritual. We all are. It is our very nature.More and more, scientists are coming to realize the physical benefits of faith in God. The evidence continues to increase. Let me share some of that with you from Dr. Harold G. Koenig's book "The Healing Power of Faith."The overwhelming scientific evidence is that those who have a deep faith or belief system - meaning that they believe in and have a relationship with God, have a life filled with prayer, worship and service to others - benefit enormously from their faith.Here is some of the evidence: Statistically, they live seven years longer; they heal more quickly from disease; the length of hospital stays is shorter; less medication is needed; stress is reduced; and much more.If you don't have a strong belief in God, all the evidence in the world will not make you a believer. But it may intrigue you enough to find out more. The way you do that is easy: just ask.I am not talking about attending church more or "cleaning up your act." I would simply encourage you to ask God to reveal Himself to you. Ask Him to show you the truth about who He is. The result may be longer life and better health. You have nothing to risk and possibly much to gain.
This reminds me of my t-shirt that says "Jesus is not Religion." A lot of people; even Christians do not know what this means. I always tell them that Christianity is not a set of rules, prayers, and things you need to say or do, but it is all about a relationship w/Jesus.



I am enjoying Philly very much and riding 45 minute trains to and from work every day is an experience in and of itself. God is showing me so much about my past, present, future, and revealing His will, His way, His reasoning, and His love to me so much this summer!

-In Christ, Miss Sarah Eileen Maurer

0 comments: