Thursday, May 14, 2009

What will you do to change your world?

These last few chapters had so much in them that I relate to that it was very hard for me to choose which part to write about. Being a 24 year-old single girl and having many friends in their 30’s; I have had several experiences where I have been made to feel ‘too young’ to think that, say that, or do that . . . . . . . . and I used to just let it go, but after I noticed I was holding onto that bitterness and anger and after reading this book I have began to built up the courage to stand up and tell women in their 30’s that say things like that to me to please explain themselves and tell me what they mean by it that because I do not agree or understand what they mean. I totally related to Jen when she said on page 167; “I began feeling that tension in my twenties, and from age twenty-five on, I told people I was ‘about thirty.’ Turning thirty was such a relief; I figured people might finally take me seriously.” I know too many women who are in their 30's and are not happy about it. I'm different I guess because I can't wait till I'm 30 ('thirty and flirty and thriving'; from a movie called 13 going on 30). It’s kind of sad how so many women in our society/culture/country put an age limit on almost everything in life; college, marriage, motherhood, success, retirement, etc. but I believe that God does not put an age limit or timeline on anything. He uses all people at all ages; I think when Jesus was walking on earth He put children first; the youngest of them all. You know what amazes me? Back in those times children were less/below/less important than slaves. People treated their slaves better than children; children were just seen as property/work/money. We have come a long way in this world; I just wish the whole world (especially the United States) would open their eyes to the starving and dying children of the world; outside America and help those truly in need.
I love what Jen says on page 178; “We can do this, girls. We can pull off what Mary envisioned, what her Son began. I imagine a world where ten million children no longer die each year from preventable diseases. We can solve the crisis of starvation – eighteen thousand children will die today from plain old hunger. We could ensure basic water sanitation for the 40% of the world who drink wastewater. If God intends His Word to be read, we’d better address the one billion people who cannot sign their name, one-sixth of the global population. If you are a woman born into wealth (meaning you make more than two dollars a day like half the world) and part of the next generation, I believe you were chosen before the foundation of the earth to be an answer to problems unsolved until now. This generation was selected for this time – a time so promising and passionate, it has never been rivaled. There is a holy calling awaiting this generation, girls. We are the ones.” I have a missionary medical doctor friend and his family living in Kenya right now performing life-giving (or life-saving) surgeries that we take for granted here in the United States. It amazes me how many people (children) in countries like Africa die from simple diseases like strep throat that ends up turning into heart failure when we can just go to a doctor, take a pill, and be fine here in America.
I may have not voted for President Barack Obama (although I sure did think about but my conservative conscience kept me from doing so) or totally agree with his politics and some of his views, but he spoke at my college commencement Wednesday May 13th at Arizona State University and I am with him on some levels. He spoke a lot about how our country/culture/society has become so materialistic and put the worst things first (materials, cars, houses, jobs, money) when we should be going out into our communities and serving/loving/doing for the poor, needy, and underprivileged. I have a heart for children in the foster care because of all the trauma, anxiety, worry, pain, and abandonment those kids have to go through at such a young age and what struck me the most that Obama said was that no matter what you do in life; what kind of car you drive, how big your house is, how much money you make, what degree you get, what title you have etc. . . . . . you may still not feel very important in the world, but to a forgotten and underprivileged child you may mean the world to them just because you cared and reached out. He pointed out our “Me First” approach and what is really considered success in our world that desperately needs to change. He also reminded us of the people in our history who didn’t have much of a title, degree, or were very wealthy, but they reached out, followed their passion and did something for someone else and made the world a better place. He reminded us to follow our passion no matter if they gain you fashion, fame, or money.
Jen shared some remarkable things on pages 180-181; “’Feed My sheep.’ ‘I feed their souls.’ ‘Yes, but twenty-four thousand of My sheep will die today because no one fed their hungry bellies. Eighteen thousands of My littlest lambs will die in their mothers’ arms today, starved in a world of plenty. My true disciples engage the suffering of the world.’ Jesus said that His gospel was good news for the poor, sick, orphaned, and oppressed because His people would be His hands and feet. What is better news to the starving: a Christian tract, or sustainable agriculture for the village? Which sounds better: a church that prays once a month for the AIDS pandemic, or one that funds clinics and medicine?”Let there be no doubt: Our generation has been entrusted wit more resources, wealth, opportunities, and knowledge than any before us. God must think highly of our potential. Let’s not squander our legacy on self-absorption of chasing the American Dream, a dream the rest of the world cannot afford. But may we hear from our Savior one day: “Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me” (Matthew 25:40).

IF WE ARE THE BODY by Casting Crowns
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAWeHo8E70E

THE AMERICAN DREAM by Casting Crowns
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cVUeKP7w_k

0 comments: