Monday, June 22, 2009

Fortune Teller

I cannot remember thinking much about the future as a kid - other than the usual dreams of young teenage girls - the big wedding and super hot husband and 2.5 kids. When I got to college I switched majors 5-6 times before I finally landed on Spanish, but only because it allowed me to spend a summer in Spain and graduate in 3 ½ years. After earning a Bachelor of Arts I went on to my own version of graduate school – the Ambassador Institute of Travel.

I have been a corporate travel agent for 14 years now. But – I have a dream – that one day I will be a writer. I don’t have goals to go along with that dream because I’m a tad on the lazy side and don’t set goals. I could wrap it all up neatly in a pretty little box with a pink polka-dot bow but the bottom line is - I lack ambition!!! I wish there was a magic pill I could take to jumpstart my brain into this because I have plenty of ideas and thoughts running through my crazy brain, just no desire to follow through.

Can you imagine a world were nobody follows through on dreams and nobody sets goals? Think of all the good stuff that would be missing from this world…Facebook, Tivo, Blackberrys, Chipotle, a black President, a woman’s right to vote, equality, democracy, freedom of religion…infinite stuff!!

“I have missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. On 26 occasions I have been entrusted to take the game’s winning shot…and missed. I have failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.”

Does it surprise you to know that this is a quote by Michael Jordan? You think of Michael and you do not think failure, but for all of his success he has had his fair share of failure as well.

I eat a lot of Chinese food – so much in fact at one particular restaurant that the owner cooks special meals for my husband and I. A meal is never complete though without the fortune cookie. My husband is never very interested in opening his but he caves under my urging.

I am very superstitious about it too – someone cannot give you the cookie, you have to choose one so you are in charge of your own destiny. Never ever eat the cookie. First of all I think they are gross, secondly if you eat it the fortune will not come true.

One time I got a cookie with no fortune – so I ate the nasty cookie so my blank fortune would not come true. I have also had a couple of repeats and a couple that are just a bunch of crap and not really a fortune.

By far though my favorite I’ve had said ‘Reach for your dreams. Start with the spring rolls.’ No joke. Can’t decide what that one means!!

Do I really think someday I might find the answer to all of my dreams and goals inside a fortune cookie? Not really – I trust God will lead me in the right direction. And who knows, he spoke to Moses through a burning bush so maybe he’ll communicate to me via a cookie!!



**We are leaving for our mission trip to Moldova June 20 and will be back July 1. We bought lots of presents for our friends over there and will be taking 2 suitcases full of goodies for them.**

0 comments: