Thursday, June 4, 2009

Living a Life of Prayer (even with the little/small things in life)

Be unceasing in prayer (praying perseveringly)– I Thessalonians 5:17

This verse has been convicting for me because I do not follow it. The more I think about the more I understand why. It’s easy to remember to pray and ask for God’s guidance, wisdom, help, and intervening when BIG things happen - when things go wrong; someone I know is sick with cancer, a family member is struggling with an addiction, a co-worker is an atheist, or my dad lost his job (which he just did a couple weeks ago), but then on a daily basis (day in and day out) I may read my Bible/write in my journal/read a devotion, but did I stop to pray, thank God for the LITTLE things in life that I daily take for granted; financial support, food for 3 meals a day, transportation to and from work, a roof over my head, a bed to sleep in, medications, healthcare, and good health.

Too many times I think we even take God and His impact/power/influence in our lives for granted. We can accidently treat him like a good luck charm (something that brings us fate or luck like a rabbit’s foot or coin), and we only use Him when we need something. When we do this we are missing out greatly on God’s free gift of true love, joy, and peace. We miss out on the best relationship there is in life with the best lover; with Jesus Christ our best friend and Heavenly Father. I struggle with not putting God first in my life; especially with prayer. I do not breathe in and out prayers as I should.

God cares about the little things in life. I’m not saying we should ask God what outfit we should wear each day (He gave us a brain to make decisions like that), but He does care about YOU and ME and what is going on in our personal lives at home, at work, at school; He cares, but we need to take that step of faith and talk to Him about it.

0 comments: