Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Would You Like Some Cheese With That Whine

Unlike my sister I have never had a potty mouth (after all I am the good child)! It is true, that on occasion, I have been known to let it fly with the best of them (Amy), but I am much too worried about what others think to let it get out of control. However, I have a problem that is as equally, if not more poisonous. I am a complainer. I try to mask it as "concern", but the truth is... it's just complaining. You see I have a deep embedded sense of justice. I hate it when things are unfair or people get away with stuff and I make it my "job" to point it out. I will go on and on and on and on about how unfair it is and how that person is getting away with something. I just can't let it go. I worry about it so much that it literally eats me up inside and I drive myself and everyone around me nuts! But here's the thing. It's not my business to judge. When I finally realized that fact, I felt like a HUGE weight had been lifted off my shoulders. I am not the one who has to carry that burden. That is for God and guess what? He doesn't need my help or my view of justice.

This summer has been a time of introspection for me. There are things about my character that I don't like and I am working to change. Complaining is one of them. It brings me and those around me down. I want to be seen as a postive, the glass is half full, kind of person. It's hard to change a 37 year habit, but I am working on it.

1 Corinthians 10:10 - And do not grumble, as some of them did—and were killed by the destroying angel.

Job 10:1 - I loathe my very life; therefore I will give free rein to my complaint and speak out in the bitterness of my soul.

Ephesians 4:29 - Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

0 comments: